Thursday, December 3, 2009

Our Jerusalem Home: Part I

Our neighborhood is called Bak'ka and we are told that it's the yuppie side of town. There is a nearby shopping area with fancier cafes and shops, lots of English heard on the sidewalks, and people with obvious leisure to stroll and sip. Most coffee we have tried is good and strong, though in homes and hotels it is usually instant (ugh, why?). From here to our friend's home in the Old City is a 45 minute walk, the only way to get there and back on shabbat, unless you splurge on a taxi - though not with a Jewish driver because you would be causing him to break the sabbath. So that's what we have done the past two Friday nights. Figuring out bus routes and schedules is crazily difficult; people say they change weekly due to the many construction projects - but really I think Israelis don't worry about it (they are so not Swiss) and just ask the driver.

Here is the front of our building, which is older than many others nearby. We are on the fourth floor (no elevator). I think there are eight apartments, though it's hard to tell and impossible to ask. Even though the huge front window is clearly not maintained, the hallways, stairs, and front walk are tidy.







I narrated a nice video of the inside the other day, but alas I gabbed too much and it won't fit. Couldn't this site accept that I need to make it seven minutes long so nothing is left out? Maybe Aaron could make it work, but I can't so I guess I will try to make a shorter version tomorrow.

Meanwhile, here are two attractive nearby homes, just so you'll have a feel for the atmosphere:



1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see it, but I also want the gabbing! That's the best part!

    ReplyDelete